I’ve had a lovely day in the garden today. With most of the flowers already flowered and gone. These kits will help to recapture their glory indoors across the winter months
Finally I have finished the last of the five new kits for launching at The Knitting and Stitching Show in two weeks time. The new kits are all long panels with added elements made that are arranged on top to give a dimensional appearance to the panel. The pieces can be arranged so that they overhang the panels edges or they can be arranged on top of themselves to create depth to that shape. Spent last night writing the step by step instructions so all I need to do today is print, pack and stack and that will be another job jobbed. To all the girls in New Zealand who had a copy of the poppies to take away home. This is what it should come out like. Have fun!
When asked to do two one hour slots on the learning curve at the Festival of Quilts I was stumped by what I could offer. This meant my brain had to gear up and extract yet another project from thin air and these simple flowers that are made to look quite complicated were born.
Based on what I normally do they are much simpler and the need for a soldering iron is an option for these as they can be achieved to the same standard with or without using one.
They are great because this is another project that uses up all my waste scrap organza and makes me feel good as every last bit of organza is working for me and not going on the studio floor or worst still in the bin.
The sewing thread is simple black machine thread and its colour acts as a strong contrasting edge showing off the simple flower design which is only enhanced by layering several shapes together and adding some beads to their centres and making some beaded and wired loops to splay out from behind. They make stunning corsages and are relatively quick to make. I tried them on quilted and appliqués squares and they looked stunning as they were in relief to the appliqué and instantly I had another project to further there use.
They would look lovely as decorations to evening bags and quickly make a fascinator with a few feathers added.
Anyway the ladies at the show hopefully were excited enough by my samples to take their stitched flowers home and finish them completely to see their potential.
I’m now off to make some more flower arrangements to decorate the quilt I am inspired to make for my stand at Alexander Palace and to launch these delightful flowers as a new kit.
Wow! What a blistering hot weekend. Only problem was that i just didn’t want to be doing any sewing.
Instead I added some finishing touches to my waterfall sketch book and took this photo so that you can see the outcome. Now all I need to do is work out how this rather dimensional piece is going to travel all the way to New Zealand next July. Looks like I’m gonna be posting another parcel.
Made from layered strips of organza, machine embroidered between water soluble film. Raised flowers made from bonded organza, machine stitched and wired in many cases. The leaves are bonded organza and are either wired in bunches and attached to the main embroidery or they hang from it on drops of beading. A soldering iron has been used to add details to flowers, leaves and panel.
Organza scrap flower vessels are great to make. They are based on an old idea brought up to present date. I get a lot of small scraps generated from what i do and i love that they can all be used and not chucked away. Once the vessel is dry and set hard i have decorated it with beading and bead dangles before machining flowers onto organza and cutting them out using a soldering iron to seal and neaten their edges. They are ideal for putting scented petals in and dried flower arrangements.
This one was made for a very dear friend of mine and she nearly didn’t get it as i was so taken with it.
I love Orange and so i have quite a bit of scrap orange which as you can see i really enjoyed using. My other best friend and work mate Carolyn will hate the colours as she cringes when i work in orange. This makes me smile every time i have a orange urge and so i have called this vessel “Carolyn’s Delight” as i am delighted with it and Carolyn will cringe and not be delighted Ha ha
Yesterday I spent a very enjoyable day at Patchwork Corner Hemel Hempstead teaching a lovely group of eager ladies how to achieve this lovely dramatic collaged panel of black and white flowers.
The technique appears to be very simple but it needs to be executed with a fair amount of control to get the neat and clean effect that suggests black work. All of the ladies worked very hard and many realised it wasn’t as easy as it first appeared to be but they all went home with loads of ideas and eager to get to grips with it. I like working at patchwork corner as it has very good amenities and is very well stocked both with fabrics and inspirational ideas and up to date projects.
|Close up showing the added detail of free motion stitching to infill and give texture to inner shapes|
|Close up showing the beads and sequins worked on to the cut out flowers|
I recently taught this Gold work project with 10 new ladies. The day always goes so fast and you don’t seem to have much to show for it at the end of it. None the less this project should keep them very busy for the next couple of weeks and hopefully they will have enjoyed it and book on to the next class.